...where we prepare for the celebration of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Beginning tomorrow... Ash Wednesday, we ask forgiveness of our selfishness by showing our love for Him in ways we deem individually appropriate.
In other words, the purpose of the Lenton season is to purify ourselves by repenting of our sins through prayer and creating our desires to shine His light through our hearts, for all to see.
So, basically, we choose something we LOVE and give it up, in his name, for 40 days...leading to Easter...and that will build our LOVE for him. After those 40 days, we'll be so unbelievably eager to celebrate His death and resurrection.
Really?! That's it?!
I somehow feel it's just not that simple.
I mean, how "appropriate" do we have to be in choosing a way(s) that best suit us as individuals?
Should we really be "picky-choosey" on what we give up?
It IS for Him... doesn't that mean we'd do anything?
Rather than go on and on about this, I'd like to gather YOUR thoughts on the matter! Feel free to comment and add your two cents.
In the meantime, know that rather than give up something, my plan is to add to my life...
become a more prayerful me.
I want to be more intentional about having set times throughout my days to stop what I'm doing and just pray. Rather than my typical morning and nighttime prayers, I'm going to build in mid-day and afternoon prayers.
I not only want to add prayer, but I want my prayers to be to the good of others.
I want to pray for blessings for the people and things I struggle with the most, things out of my comfort zone, matters I don't even know about, and for celebrations to come.
What about you?
What will your Lenton season consist of or be without?

3 comments:
I saw your blog in the Monday hop and wanted to check out what your all about over here. I started by just reading one post. & I loved it. Well, I love your idea. I don't observe lent but I love the idea of adding in more prayer. I pray before bed or when somthing really awesome happens I just have to thank him. But besides those momemts I don't pray a whole lot. Thanks for the idea!
Also, I am your newest follower. Lauren :) From Adventures with Little man
Adding more prayer is amazing thing to add. I need to add reading my Bible more. I feel like I've had it on the back burner for some time now and it needs to change!
Have a great day!
or you can pick something up!
Post a Comment